Skip to main content

Confession #10 - Girl I've Gotta Vent! I don't do Confrontations

Good girlfriends are the best and sometimes hard to find!  But when you do, they are priceless.  These are the gals ya' call up and cry, "Girl I've gotta vent!".  They're the ladies that you meet at Starbucks once a week for a chat, the ladies who's kids you set up play dates with so you can have a date with them too.  They're sometimes even the girl that lives far away that you can't go a week without a phone call to.  I love my girlfriends, and frankly I wouldn't want to do life without them.  But what do you do when a friend, a good friend hurts you over and over again?  Let me preface the rest of my confession by explaining that I don't consider myself a hypersensitive person.  Things do not easily bother me, but hurting people, hurt people and since most of us have hurts in our pasts then well, you know...

See, I've had issues with friends in my past; ladies that frankly aren't my friends any longer.  Why?  Because the constant pain these so-called "friendships" caused me was continual.  I think in some cases the friendship could have been salvaged, but unfortunately, I have a real problem coming clean with others when they hurt me.  I don't communicate well when someone does or says something unkind or judgemental.  I fail to be honest, because I don't know how to deal with confrontation and because I am afraid of hurting their feelings.  What ends up happening is that the issues build until I can't take it any longer and then either I blow or quietly bow out. 

I once confessed this to a new girlfriend of mine and it nearly scared her out of her pants.  She thought she was at risk to be sent packing.  I reassured her that was not the case with our friendship.  But recently I've been thinking about my issues with confrontation and have became nervous that if I were put in a position of continual pain and discomfort, that I might find myself doing it again; blowing up or sending someone packing.  I really need help to learn how to tell others how I feel without risking the friendship because I never want to loose any of my precious girlfriends again. 

I can easily forgive many small grievances, but built up over a long period of time, not so easy.  Then I worry, am I really forgiving or am I just suppressing my anger?  Hummm, maybe another blog topic.  Let's get back on track.  God's word is clear when you have an issue with someone you are to go to them to work it out.  I believe God's word is true and relevant to us today so He isn't just talking about a dispute over land or an animal, He's also talking about a gal pal that hurt your feelings.  I also know that God wants all sin brought to light because once we allow issues to fester they really start to stink!  But as women we can be really sensitive, and it requires a very gentle touch, one that I have yet to master. 

"Dear Lord, I need boldness covered in grace, mercy, and  most of all love in order to confront those who may hurt me.  Let me never find myself dismissing good people from my life again because I failed to deal with issues your way.  Teach my non-confrontational sisters to do the same, before us hurting people, hurt more people."  AMEN!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confession #87: The Golden Buzzer

Today while visiting a friend, she asked if I had seen this amazing girl on AGT. I told her that I don’t watch that show but after she described this woman, I said wait, is that Nightbirde? She said yes and played the clip. This gorgeous woman with a song in her heart put herself out there in front of the entire world to compete. Then she reveals she has been suffering from this horrific cancer in her lungs and spine and liver, and she only has a 2% chance of survival. Her song an original she wrote called, “It’s okay.”  I recognized the description of her because, ironically, this was the second introduction I had to the amazing Nightbirde. Just the day before I had stumbled across her one of her blog posts. An ode to the Lord that she praises God amid her pain. Coincidence? NEVER!  Recently, I have had the stuffing knocked out of me. Taking blows has become somewhat routine in my life and this current situation is one of the more powerful ones. Thankfully, I do not have c

Confession #83 "It Ain't Over, Till it's Over"

You know the famous saying by the baseball great Yogi Berra, “It ain’t over till it’s over?”  Well in God’s economy, it’s true!   In Luke 18: 1 it says, “Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up.”   In 1999 when my husband and I purchased our home, we had no children and the plan for them was years off, so we didn’t think much about school zoning.  Honestly, we thought by the time we would have to be concerned with schools we would have moved into a larger home in a better area.  After all, this was our starter home.   Twenty-one years later and by the grace of God, we are still here.  And that school zoning problem has been an issue since our daughter became school aged.  Rather than send her to our local zoned schools we opted for charter schools.  Knowing we could not afford to send her to a private, or Christian school that was the best we could give her.  I believe the Charter schools we sent her to are great schools, with g