Skip to main content

Confession #13 - I'm a Controversial Woman

Seems these days the Proverbs 31 Woman is a very popular topic among us ladies.  This woman stirs up more controversy than Nancy Pelosi and Anna Nicole Smith did put together.  Some Christian ladies despise her.  To them she stands as a reminder of what they may never be.  To some they look up to her as a standard of living to master and others are somewhere in the middle.  Being the cracked pot that I am, I have really struggled with Mrs. 31 (as I like to call her).  For those of you who may be unfamiliar the bible tells us that she is:

A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies. Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value. She brings him good; not harm, all the days of her life. She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands. She is like the merchant ships, bringing her food from afar. She gets up while it is still night; she provides food for her family and portions for her female servants. She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard. She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks. She sees that her trading is profitable, and her lamp does not go out at night. In her hand she holds the distaff and grasps the spindle with her fingers. She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy. When it snows, she has no fear for her household; for all of them are clothed in scarlet. She makes coverings for her bed; she is clothed in fine linen and purple. Her husband is respected at the city gate, where he takes his seat among the elders of the land. She makes linen garments and sells them, and supplies the merchants with sashes. She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come. She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue. She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: "Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all." Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised. Honor her for all that her hands have done, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.

She seems quite AMAZING doesn't she?  When does she sleep?  So many of us cracked pot ladies can't seem to relate to her so I decided to pick her apart, bullet point her if you will; to get a better look at who she really is:

· She was up early in the morning
· She grew her own garden for food
· She made clothes for herself and for her family
· She owned and ran her own business
· She was a great homemaker
· Her husband praised her
· Her children adored her
· She was a smart cookie
· She took care of the physical needs of her family
· She spoke with wisdom
· She helps other people
· She was in shape-physically, mentally, spiritually
· She feared God.
As I bullet pointed these I began to realized that maybe I was mistaken, Mrs. 31 isn't so different than I am:

· She was up early in the morning - I'm up between 6:30 and 7:00 every morning
· She grew her own garden for food - At the supermarket at least once a week grocery shopping
· She made clothes for herself and for her family - I don't sew but I shop for all the family clothing
· She owned and ran her own business - I run my own business and work a part-time job
· She was a great homemaker - Not what I'd consider great but I take care of most of the household chores
· Her husband praised her - Vince does praise me and he frequently thanks me for doing all I do
· Her children adored her - Goes without saying that my daughter adores her mommy
· She was a smart cookie - As cookies go, I'm pretty smart
· She took care of the physical needs of her family - I see to that everyday
· She spoke with wisdom - I hope my blog does some of that....
· She helps other people - It's my life in servitude to Christ
· She was in shape-physically, mentally, spiritually - Hey two out of three ain't bad!
· She feared God - Absolutely!
So there you have it.  And I'll bet if you break it down you will see that you're not so far away from the controversial Mrs. 31 after all - cracks n all!  I wonder if Mrs. 31 knew that someday the Apostle Paul would write what she probably already knew in her heart, "I can do everything through him who gives me strength." Philippians 4:13

"Dear Lord, thank you for revealing that your standard isn't too difficult for me to live up to.  That if I continue to do your will for my life as a wife, mother, and Kingdom worker that you will supply me with the strength to get'her done.  And dear Lord please allow my sisters to see that they live up the the controversial Mrs. 31 each and every day as well."  AMEN!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confession #87: The Golden Buzzer

Today while visiting a friend, she asked if I had seen this amazing girl on AGT. I told her that I don’t watch that show but after she described this woman, I said wait, is that Nightbirde? She said yes and played the clip. This gorgeous woman with a song in her heart put herself out there in front of the entire world to compete. Then she reveals she has been suffering from this horrific cancer in her lungs and spine and liver, and she only has a 2% chance of survival. Her song an original she wrote called, “It’s okay.”  I recognized the description of her because, ironically, this was the second introduction I had to the amazing Nightbirde. Just the day before I had stumbled across her one of her blog posts. An ode to the Lord that she praises God amid her pain. Coincidence? NEVER!  Recently, I have had the stuffing knocked out of me. Taking blows has become somewhat routine in my life and this current situation is one of the more powerful ones. Thankfully, I do not have c

Confession #83 "It Ain't Over, Till it's Over"

You know the famous saying by the baseball great Yogi Berra, “It ain’t over till it’s over?”  Well in God’s economy, it’s true!   In Luke 18: 1 it says, “Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up.”   In 1999 when my husband and I purchased our home, we had no children and the plan for them was years off, so we didn’t think much about school zoning.  Honestly, we thought by the time we would have to be concerned with schools we would have moved into a larger home in a better area.  After all, this was our starter home.   Twenty-one years later and by the grace of God, we are still here.  And that school zoning problem has been an issue since our daughter became school aged.  Rather than send her to our local zoned schools we opted for charter schools.  Knowing we could not afford to send her to a private, or Christian school that was the best we could give her.  I believe the Charter schools we sent her to are great schools, with g