Skip to main content

Confession #9 - I've had a BAD case of Stinkin' Thinkin'

It's that wonderful time again.  The time when everything anyone says me rubs me the wrong way.  You know what I'm talking about.  Sometimes even a simple hello can come across the wrong way.  (To add insult to injury I'm out of chocolate too!) Of course there's no one to blame, it's just a case of Stinkin' Thinkin'.  As Christians it's a major faux pas to carry around this kind of disease, but after all we are sinful humans and well it comes with the territory of our fallen world. 

In my short time as a Bible teacher, I've spoke on this topic twice, and I can tell you the steps to take to get rid of it.  But if you don't keep them up, you're bound to have a relapse.  I've been missing some of the steps in my daily routine so before I sat down to write this evening I took a bath in the Word.

One of the verses that I read is 1 Peter 4:11 "If anyone speaks he should do it as one speaking the very words of God."  But I think we can apply that to our thoughts too.  "If any one speaks thinks he should do it as one speaking thinking the very words of God."  After all thoughts are simply ourselves speaking to our minds.  So if I were thinking the thoughts of God would they sound like my thoughts did today?  No : (

Another verse that God directed me to is one of my favorites, Proverbs 4:20-25, "...pay attention to what I say; listen closely to my words.  Do not let them out of your sight, keep them within your heart; for they are life to those who find them and health to a man's whole body.  Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.  Put away perversity from your mouth; keep corrupt talk far from your lips.  Let your eyes look straight ahead, fix your gaze directly before you."  This verse tells me that I need to keep his word always on my mind, be careful of what I think and say and most importantly always keeping my focus on Him.  This seems difficult, but when you think about it, it really isn't.  Stay in God's word everyday.  Focus on Him and He will direct your mind.  Simple.  I know life gets in the way and sometimes people can be so darn annoying but our perspective much change if our minds are going to.  If I'm ever gonna be cured of this 'ol Stinkin' Thinkin', I've got to keep a Kingdom perspective. 

After I bathed in the Word, I thought I'd protect my mind with some prayer.  Talking it out with my Heavenly Daddy, and confessing my Stinkin' Thinkin' helps to protect my heart.  He already knows what I thought, but by recognizing my sin I'm taking ownership for my behavior and giving God control over it.  Giving God control is the ultimate protection.  We also need to be protecting our minds with the Armor of God each day.  Pray Ephesians 6:11, 14-18 "...the belt of truth buckled around your waist,...the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.  In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which  you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.  Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the spirit, which is the word of God.  And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests." 

The final step in my plan to send that Stinkin' Thinkin' packin' is praise.  Hebrew 13:15 reminds me to, "...continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise - the fruit of lips that openly profess his name."  If music can soothe the savage beast then praise music can heal my Stinkin' Thinkin'.  I'm telling ya, I can't be a sour grape when I'm singing praises to God, it's just not possible. 

John 10:10 tells me, "I (the Lord) have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."  I'm putting Jesus' sacrifice to shame when I'm not living according to His plan and purpose for my life.  He DIED so I could have a full life, not so I could go around Stinkin' the place up. 

Wow that felt good, I'm feeling cleaner now, PRAISE THE LORD! 

"Dear Lord, thank you for giving me your word to bath my stinkin' mind in.  Thank you for your Holy protection, I praise you Heavenly Father for sending my precious Jesus to give me a life really worth living.  I pray that you touch the hearts of my sisters out there who may be feelin' stinky too.  Give them the desire to go through your wash cycle right now."  AMEN!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confession #87: The Golden Buzzer

Today while visiting a friend, she asked if I had seen this amazing girl on AGT. I told her that I don’t watch that show but after she described this woman, I said wait, is that Nightbirde? She said yes and played the clip. This gorgeous woman with a song in her heart put herself out there in front of the entire world to compete. Then she reveals she has been suffering from this horrific cancer in her lungs and spine and liver, and she only has a 2% chance of survival. Her song an original she wrote called, “It’s okay.”  I recognized the description of her because, ironically, this was the second introduction I had to the amazing Nightbirde. Just the day before I had stumbled across her one of her blog posts. An ode to the Lord that she praises God amid her pain. Coincidence? NEVER!  Recently, I have had the stuffing knocked out of me. Taking blows has become somewhat routine in my life and this current situation is one of the more powerful ones. Thankfully, I do not have c

Confession #83 "It Ain't Over, Till it's Over"

You know the famous saying by the baseball great Yogi Berra, “It ain’t over till it’s over?”  Well in God’s economy, it’s true!   In Luke 18: 1 it says, “Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up.”   In 1999 when my husband and I purchased our home, we had no children and the plan for them was years off, so we didn’t think much about school zoning.  Honestly, we thought by the time we would have to be concerned with schools we would have moved into a larger home in a better area.  After all, this was our starter home.   Twenty-one years later and by the grace of God, we are still here.  And that school zoning problem has been an issue since our daughter became school aged.  Rather than send her to our local zoned schools we opted for charter schools.  Knowing we could not afford to send her to a private, or Christian school that was the best we could give her.  I believe the Charter schools we sent her to are great schools, with g