Skip to main content

Confession #17 - There's a little Chicken Inside

One of my good friends posted this on her facebook page a few days ago: 

Since after church on Sunday, our daughter has been asking if we or she has a chicken inside? We assumed it was a part of their lesson, but could not figure out where that come from. Well, my husband cracked the code today: They have been learning about the Holy Spirit in Children's Church and about God's Power. They were telling them to "not be a chicken" when standing up for what you believe in and telling other's about God's love. LOL! As my husband tried to explain what "being a chicken" meant, our daughter got it, she said, "Well, I don't have to be a chicken because I have the Power!" Love how literal kids take things.
This post hit me in the gut.  As cute as it may be, it served to remind me that sometimes I have a little chicken inside me too.  There are so many instances where I've failed to share the gospel with someone because I don't know how they will receive it.  And based on what God's word says, I know that He does not want me living with a little chicken inside:  Romans 1:16 says, "For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile."  and 2 Timothy 1:7 says, "For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love, and of self-discipline,"


Then there are times when I've failed to speak up about an issue that is against God's word.  Not that I don't oppose sin, but that little chicken perked up and intimidated me into believing that I may be offending others.  You see, I was raised in the wake of the political correctness movement and grew up believing that we ought not to offend others.  However, as a Christian I've come to discover that God does not necessarily support political correctness.  Jesus himself tells us in Luke 12:51-53: "Do you think that I came  to bring peace on earth?  No, I tell you, but division.  From now on there will be five in one family divided against each other, three against two and two against three.  They will be divided, father against son, and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law." 

When we accept Christ as our savior the Holy Spirit indwells us.  That means that the very spirit of God lives inside us.  One of the gifts the Holy Spirit brings is the spirit of boldness.   It is our responsibility to tell the truth even to the point of death.  It reminds me of the fearless men, women, and children who have died at the hands of persecutors for the sake of Christ over and over again.  Remember Rachel Scott?  Rachel Joy Scott, a devout Christian, was the first to be shot in Columbine High School shootings. Reportedly she was eating lunch on the lawn outside the school when she was approached by the killers and asked if she believed in God. Knowing full well that the end result would be death, she said yes.

Frankly we don't have any room for that little chicken.  When hurting people cross our path, we need to stand on the boldness that comes from the Holy Spirit and send that little chicken packing.  People are hurting and they need a real savior. And when I turn my back on my beliefs I am turning my back on God.

If you're still afraid that the truth may cause division in your life, just remember, "If God is for us, who can be against us?" Romans 8:31Never be afraid of speaking in truth.  That is, truth in love, mixed with grace and mercyAfter all, Jesus suffered and died to give us life let's not exchange His act of pure love for an act of cowardice.

"Dear Lord, please forgive me for the times I have failed to share the good news with hurting people, and please forgive me when I have failed to stand for truth in the wake of this fallen world.  Continue to build a spirit of boldness in me and send my fears packing.  And Dear Lord for my sisters in Christ, who also live with a little chicken, I pray that you would give them the courage to stand for you and your word.  In Jesus' precious name I pray." AMEN!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Confession #87: The Golden Buzzer

Today while visiting a friend, she asked if I had seen this amazing girl on AGT. I told her that I don’t watch that show but after she described this woman, I said wait, is that Nightbirde? She said yes and played the clip. This gorgeous woman with a song in her heart put herself out there in front of the entire world to compete. Then she reveals she has been suffering from this horrific cancer in her lungs and spine and liver, and she only has a 2% chance of survival. Her song an original she wrote called, “It’s okay.”  I recognized the description of her because, ironically, this was the second introduction I had to the amazing Nightbirde. Just the day before I had stumbled across her one of her blog posts. An ode to the Lord that she praises God amid her pain. Coincidence? NEVER!  Recently, I have had the stuffing knocked out of me. Taking blows has become somewhat routine in my life and this current situation is one of the more powerful ones. Thankfully, I do not have c

Confession #83 "It Ain't Over, Till it's Over"

You know the famous saying by the baseball great Yogi Berra, “It ain’t over till it’s over?”  Well in God’s economy, it’s true!   In Luke 18: 1 it says, “Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up.”   In 1999 when my husband and I purchased our home, we had no children and the plan for them was years off, so we didn’t think much about school zoning.  Honestly, we thought by the time we would have to be concerned with schools we would have moved into a larger home in a better area.  After all, this was our starter home.   Twenty-one years later and by the grace of God, we are still here.  And that school zoning problem has been an issue since our daughter became school aged.  Rather than send her to our local zoned schools we opted for charter schools.  Knowing we could not afford to send her to a private, or Christian school that was the best we could give her.  I believe the Charter schools we sent her to are great schools, with g