Skip to main content

Confession #22 - I'm Sending You Back to The Future!

It was the summer of 1985  my best friend just got a brand new Nissan 300zx for her birthday.  Fast cars, and fast friends that was the crowd that I hung with; a young teen on the brink of loosing her innocence.  His name was John.  He was mildly handsome and very flirtatious and for a girl like me who was craving attention, he fit the bill.  It didn't matter that my friend had been seeing him, I liked him and I was going to be his.  By the end of the summer I got my wish.  When school started so did the pressures of being "in love".  He said he loved me too so it was okay; he was the one.  My friends pressured me too; pressed me into doing what I knew I wasn't ready for.  I gave in anyway. 

The breakup came three months later.  My parents discovered the truth and so they wouldn't let me see him anymore.  My heart broke as I picked up the phone for the last time to speak to John, "I'm sorry but my mom and dad won't let me see you anymore," I mumbled through my tears.  "Okay" was his reply.  And John quickly moved on with his life.  In fact, he immediately began dating a girl he would flirt with in front of my face while we were dating.  Then on to another, this time a girl I worked with.  Each time I would see him come pick her up after work my heart would ache.  Each time I'd pass them making out in the school halls, I'd run in the bathroom and cry.  Inevitably I would run into them at the mall, or McSugars, the popular high school hang out, that would literally bring on a panic attack.  This went on for 3 years.  By graduation, there had been other boys I dated and even one that I had been seriously seeing for most of my senior year, but I still hadn't gotten over John.  It was as if a piece of me was missing and he had it.

The years passed and I'd run into John less and less.  I married my husband eleven years later.   This was the man that God had picked out, the man that should have gotten what I gave to John.  However, I never really gave John much thought, he became a fleeting regret of the past and I felt happy. 

Fast forward to three months ago - approximately 27 years after we began dating.  I was checking Facebook and noticed that it was my friend's birthday.  This was the same girl who was seeing John, back when I wanted to date him.  I posted a Happy Birthday wish, and then my mind began to drift, reminiscing about the past.  Not a past that I'm particularly proud of.  Anyway John was on my mind and I started to panic a little as I did in the past.  All I could think about is God forbid he should see me like this, older and much, much fatter!  Here I am a grown woman married to a wonderful man, and I am freaking out at the meer thought of seeing someone I haven't seen in 27 years.  So I prayed, "God please, please, please, don't EVER let me run into John again."  "I don't think I can face him." 

Wouldn't you know it, very next day I met my girlfriend for a play date at one of the children's play centers.  I'm sitting there helping my daughter into dress up clothes, I glance up and across the room, no joking, there HE WAS!  It was John!  OH MY GOODNESS, all those feelings came rushing back.  Panic ensued, I felt like I just climbed into the Delorean at 88 miles per hour and raced back to 1985.  My jaw dropped, my complexion turned white and I stood there with my mouth open wide staring straight ahead.  My friend came up to me and asked if I was okay.  It jarred me.  My head shaking a violent no from side to side, I went to hide in a corner.  I sat there for at least ten minutes hyperventilating.  What in the world was wrong with me?  Was God telling me it was time to face my fears? 

Once I was somewhat calm, I explained the situation to my friend.  She was shocked and asked if I was planning on talking to him.  My reply, "NO! Absolutely not."  As the words left my mouth I turned around and nearly walked smack dab into John. 

"Hello John", I said with a warm smile.  He looked completely perplexed.  "It's Joanne, Joanne LaSorella, well Cuchel now."  We spoke for a few minutes catching up and then parted with a handshake. 

That was it, the panic, the fear, the loss, GONE!  It was over.  I had given John control over me for twenty seven years but now, God had forced me to face my fears to prove to me that He had healed my wounds.  He proved to me that I could be proud of who I am no matter what, and that who He had created me to be, I was. 

The point is the heartbreak and insecurity I suffered after loosing my first love is one of the main issues that led me to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ in the first place.  I know that God used this pain in my life for His good.  God had set me free of the bondage I had to these emotions when I accepted Christ, only I didn't realize it. The lesson here is found in John 8:36, "So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed."  When you accept Christ, you are free from all bondage, all sin; you are healed.  You don't need to live in the past you can go back to your future knowing that Christ's sacrifice on the cross broke the chains that sometimes keep us enslaved to our past sin.  In Matthew 27 verse 51 when Jesus gave up his spirit and died on the cross it says, "At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom."  This is the curtain that separated the high priests from the presence of God in the temple.  The death of Christ actually ripped the curtain that separated us from God and to allowed us to be in the very presence of God.  It's God's presence in our lives that heals our broken hearts and mends our inner wounds.

"Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ's sacrifice.  And thank you for forcing me to face my fears and for making me realize that you did free me from my emotional bondage.  Please continue to break the chains that bind me so that I can continue to do your work and to live life to the fullest.  And dear Lord, bring my sisters in Christ back to their futures by helping them realize that they are also free indeed."  AMEN!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confession #87: The Golden Buzzer

Today while visiting a friend, she asked if I had seen this amazing girl on AGT. I told her that I don’t watch that show but after she described this woman, I said wait, is that Nightbirde? She said yes and played the clip. This gorgeous woman with a song in her heart put herself out there in front of the entire world to compete. Then she reveals she has been suffering from this horrific cancer in her lungs and spine and liver, and she only has a 2% chance of survival. Her song an original she wrote called, “It’s okay.”  I recognized the description of her because, ironically, this was the second introduction I had to the amazing Nightbirde. Just the day before I had stumbled across her one of her blog posts. An ode to the Lord that she praises God amid her pain. Coincidence? NEVER!  Recently, I have had the stuffing knocked out of me. Taking blows has become somewhat routine in my life and this current situation is one of the more powerful ones. Thankfully, I do not have c

Confession #83 "It Ain't Over, Till it's Over"

You know the famous saying by the baseball great Yogi Berra, “It ain’t over till it’s over?”  Well in God’s economy, it’s true!   In Luke 18: 1 it says, “Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up.”   In 1999 when my husband and I purchased our home, we had no children and the plan for them was years off, so we didn’t think much about school zoning.  Honestly, we thought by the time we would have to be concerned with schools we would have moved into a larger home in a better area.  After all, this was our starter home.   Twenty-one years later and by the grace of God, we are still here.  And that school zoning problem has been an issue since our daughter became school aged.  Rather than send her to our local zoned schools we opted for charter schools.  Knowing we could not afford to send her to a private, or Christian school that was the best we could give her.  I believe the Charter schools we sent her to are great schools, with g