Skip to main content

Confessions #27 - Learning to be a No Drama Momma

When I was young my family used to joke that I would walk into a room with a "puss" on my face just like my mom.  As I got older I was called Drama Queen.  I've been accused of making mountains out of mole hills more often than not.  And while I'll admit I do get emotional about certain situations and sometimes more emotional than I'd like, does that really qualify me to be labeled?  I recognize that I am an emotional person.  In fact my emotions are what drive me to do or not do many things.  I'm also an emotional eater which is why I have a weight problem.  But lately I've been thinking about this emotional label and I'm not liking it so much.  Felling convicted, I need to do something about it.

Although I do not consider myself to be a Drama Queen (believe me I've met a few and I'm no Drama Queen) my emotions do seem to be getting in the way of my pursuit of becoming the woman God has called me to be.  Anger, sadness, frustration, disappointment, stress, loneliness, these emotions drive my bottom onto the couch, tell me to give into my temptation to eat chocolate, give up on my dreams, wallow, and feel sorry for myself.  They keep me self focused and selfish. 

Joy, peace, happiness, and excitement, they keep me motivated, driven to do the work the Lord has called me to do.  So the question is how do I stop being a Drama Momma and become the joyful, peaceful, happy, person God is calling me to be?

It occurred to me that on Sunday's when I leave church I'm recharged and useful to God.  I'm gentler in nature and generally more happy.  Yes the message does play a big part in that, but moreover, it's the praise and worship.  So I discovered that the problem is a clear and present deficit of praise.  There has been a significant lack of it in my life as of late, and I am noticing the increasing importance that praise plays in living a joy-filled life. 

King David never failed to praise God.  Nor did the prophets.  They all spoke and sang of God's goodness, strength, and mercy constantly.  They knew that having an attitude of gratitude was the way to maintain joy even in the midst of some difficult circumstances.  For example in Psalm 86 King David writes, "Hear, O Lord, and answer me, for I am poor and needy.  Guard my life, for I am devoted to you.  You are my God; save your servant who trusts in you.  Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I call to you all day long.  Bring joy to your servant, for to you, O Lord I lift up my soul.  You are forgiving and good, O Lord, abounding in love to all who call to you.  Hear my prayer, O Lord; listen to my cry for mercy.  In the day of my trouble I will call to you, for you will answer me.  Among the gods there is none like you, O Lord; no deeds can compare with yours.  All the nations you have made will come and worship before you, O Lord; they will bring glory to your name.  For you are great and do marvelous deeds; you alone are God.  Teach me your way, O Lord, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name.  I will praise you, O Lord my God, with all my heart; I will glorify your name forever;  For great is your love toward me; you have delivered me from the depths of the grave...."

Ladies, praise polishes our hearts and minds and keep us joyful and equipped to see the world through the eyes of God.  So in an effort to be a "No Drama Momma" I vow to make praise & worship a part of my daily routine.  And in the instances where I feel those ugly emotions creeping in I'll turn on the music and start praising my Lord again!

"Dear Heavenly Father, please forgive me when I allow my emotions to get the best of me.  Please continue to remind me to have an "Attitude of Gratitude" and when I'm feeling low lead to me turn on the praise and worship music.  And precious Lord for my sisters in Christ who struggle with being "Drama Mommas" get the praise flowing in their hearts as well.  In Jesus precious name I pray."  AMEN!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confession #87: The Golden Buzzer

Today while visiting a friend, she asked if I had seen this amazing girl on AGT. I told her that I don’t watch that show but after she described this woman, I said wait, is that Nightbirde? She said yes and played the clip. This gorgeous woman with a song in her heart put herself out there in front of the entire world to compete. Then she reveals she has been suffering from this horrific cancer in her lungs and spine and liver, and she only has a 2% chance of survival. Her song an original she wrote called, “It’s okay.”  I recognized the description of her because, ironically, this was the second introduction I had to the amazing Nightbirde. Just the day before I had stumbled across her one of her blog posts. An ode to the Lord that she praises God amid her pain. Coincidence? NEVER!  Recently, I have had the stuffing knocked out of me. Taking blows has become somewhat routine in my life and this current situation is one of the more powerful ones. Thankfully, I do not have c

Confession #83 "It Ain't Over, Till it's Over"

You know the famous saying by the baseball great Yogi Berra, “It ain’t over till it’s over?”  Well in God’s economy, it’s true!   In Luke 18: 1 it says, “Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up.”   In 1999 when my husband and I purchased our home, we had no children and the plan for them was years off, so we didn’t think much about school zoning.  Honestly, we thought by the time we would have to be concerned with schools we would have moved into a larger home in a better area.  After all, this was our starter home.   Twenty-one years later and by the grace of God, we are still here.  And that school zoning problem has been an issue since our daughter became school aged.  Rather than send her to our local zoned schools we opted for charter schools.  Knowing we could not afford to send her to a private, or Christian school that was the best we could give her.  I believe the Charter schools we sent her to are great schools, with g