Skip to main content

Confession #47 - Joy is the Best Medicine!

If you've never seen the movie Money Pit and you're looking for a serious laugh, I highly recommend it, it's one of my favorites. 

Click on the play button and watch.  In this scene the main character, Walter, is so overwhelmed by the amount of issues going wrong with the home he's just purchased that he breaks down, not crying but hysterical laughing.


My life has been like this lately.  It's been chaotic, hetic, and exhausting.  But in the midst of it, I noticed an interesting change taking place in my heart....

I'll spare you all the details of the craziness itself, but suffice to say the straw that broke the camel's back occured on Wednesday evening after I noticed that my daughter's hair was infested with Lice.  If you've ever had a run-in with these nasty creatures you know all the work involved in getting rid of them.  It doesn't just take ridding them from the hair but you have to inhillate them from the home by washing and laundering EVERYTHING!!!

By Friday evening, I was in an utter and complete state of exhaustion.  I had torn apart my daughter's room cleaning, organizing and laundering everything I could find.  It took me from 8 am to 6pm.  After that I was did another treatment on Lexi's hair when my husband decided to tinker with our front door knob that was already in disrepair.  My husband is not a handyman in the least.   But he likes to think he can fix things, kind of like Tim-the-tool-man-Taylor, and you guessed it he completely broke the handle.  Later the waterheater cracked and the garage was flooding so that must have excited the dog who decided to start running around the house like a rabid animal knocking over laundry and junk along with Lexi deciding to play the drumset she forgot she had until I decided to donate it.  The house was a mess, and between my exhaustion, the wetvac noise in the garage, the drum playing and the dog running around crashing into everything and barking you might assume that I would have gone stock-raving mad.

But on the contrary, I started laughing.  Laughing like Walter in the Money Pit.  An uncontrollable insane laughter when my heart starting feeling this tremendous joy.  I was overwhelmed by the love and blessings I began to recognize around me.  I began thanking God for giving me a home with a front door to welcome visitors, and a hot water heater, and an amazing and talented daughter, a new dog to share our love with and a husband that was here to vacuum up the mess.  I thanked him that I had clothes to wash and food in the refrigerator, I thanked him that I had a job and friends, and family.  I was in complete awe of God and His amazing provisions. 

The laughter subsided but the joy remains as a continual reminder that I am truely blessed.  And I need to count those blessing every time I feel Satan coming around trying to steel my joy.

Dear Heavenly Father, Thank you again for all the tremendous blessing you have put in my life.  Thank you for filling my heart with joy knowing that joy is being content in the midst of whatever circumstances I may face.  I pray for my sisters-in-Christ today that they too will find the medicine of joy to bring calm in chaos and peace in the midst of panic.  In Jesus' precious name I pray.  AMEN!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confession #87: The Golden Buzzer

Today while visiting a friend, she asked if I had seen this amazing girl on AGT. I told her that I don’t watch that show but after she described this woman, I said wait, is that Nightbirde? She said yes and played the clip. This gorgeous woman with a song in her heart put herself out there in front of the entire world to compete. Then she reveals she has been suffering from this horrific cancer in her lungs and spine and liver, and she only has a 2% chance of survival. Her song an original she wrote called, “It’s okay.”  I recognized the description of her because, ironically, this was the second introduction I had to the amazing Nightbirde. Just the day before I had stumbled across her one of her blog posts. An ode to the Lord that she praises God amid her pain. Coincidence? NEVER!  Recently, I have had the stuffing knocked out of me. Taking blows has become somewhat routine in my life and this current situation is one of the more powerful ones. Thankfully, I do not have c

Confession #83 "It Ain't Over, Till it's Over"

You know the famous saying by the baseball great Yogi Berra, “It ain’t over till it’s over?”  Well in God’s economy, it’s true!   In Luke 18: 1 it says, “Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up.”   In 1999 when my husband and I purchased our home, we had no children and the plan for them was years off, so we didn’t think much about school zoning.  Honestly, we thought by the time we would have to be concerned with schools we would have moved into a larger home in a better area.  After all, this was our starter home.   Twenty-one years later and by the grace of God, we are still here.  And that school zoning problem has been an issue since our daughter became school aged.  Rather than send her to our local zoned schools we opted for charter schools.  Knowing we could not afford to send her to a private, or Christian school that was the best we could give her.  I believe the Charter schools we sent her to are great schools, with g