Skip to main content

Confession #48 - The Blame Game

I love to play The Blame Game.  Actually I've become quite adept at it.  No matter the severity or triviality of a situation, I always manage to point a finger.  Unfortunately that finger is ALWAYS pointing at the same person........ME!


I have become the worlds biggest and most critical person of my own faults and failures. Mostly I blame myself for every bad decision my child makes. 


In the beginning I just figured that I was the World's Worst Mother.  The expectations I held for my daughter were immensely high.  This was a result of becoming a mother of a two-year-old who was unbelievably articulate and intelligent.  Having never parented before, I didn't know what a reasonable expectation was, and so I assumed that she could understand and be responsible for things no two-year-old could deal with.  Add in that my daughter comes from a background of abuse and neglect.  She just needed a mother who could offer her love, protection, comfort, and understanding.  Instead she got a crazed yeller who thought her baby could control her emotions.  Frankly, I didn't see her as a baby, albeit she was in diapers, her intellect and vocabulary suggested otherwise, and my complete lack of experience led to severe incompetence as a mom.  Coupled with the sad fact, as I've mentioned in my post I Was Afraid I Couldn't Love Her, that it took over a year for me to bond with her.


As God taught me how to love her that changed and I stopped calling myself "The World's Worst Mother".  But it's not like I'm any easier on myself.  I become so frustrated when she makes bad choices and gets herself in trouble.  I feel embarrassed whenever she is disrespectful towards other adults.  I judge myself when she's not applying herself academically, and I take it personally whenever she can't manage to solve age-appropriate moral dilemmas.  Why????  Oh goodness, here comes the tears...


Truthfully, I really am doing the best job I can.  I know I'm not perfect nor will I ever be; that's Jesus' job.  Honestly, the growth I've made in the last 5 years has been tremendous.  I've fought so long and so hard to get her the help she's needed.  I've taken things off my plate so I can spend more quality time with her.  I've put things on my plate so I can become more involved in the areas that concern her.  I've kept myself from working a full-time job so that I can be here for her more.  I pray everyday for her.  I look for new ways to teach her and keep her engaged.  Although, I've invested all I have into being a good mother....I still feel like I fall so short.  Even with all those accomplishments I believe that I'm not doing enough, spending enough time, teaching her well enough, praying long enough, being a good enough example, etc....  And the game continues...


The name of my game piece is Fear.  Fear that she will grow up to be like her bio mom.  If your an adoptive parent you can probably relate.  This fear is fueling an insane need to control everything in and out of my power to make sure that doesn't happen.  But this Blame Game has got to come to an end!  My head tells me that all I can do is my best and leave the rest up to God.  But my heart tells me it's my fault and I'm failing her.  This way of thinking is parental suicide.  Non of us can live up to it.  Yet I remain a pawn in this horrible game because I think I can have control and I don't.  God is in control.  It reminds me of Twila Paris' song.  Click play on the video.  There is power in these lyrics and I promise you won't be disappointed:





God IS in control!  Isaiah 40:27-31 says, "Why do you complain, Jacob (Joanne)?  Why do you say, Israel (Joanne), 'My way is hidden from the Lord; my cause is disregarded by my God'?  Do you not know?  Have you not heard?The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth.  He will not grow tired or weary,  and his understanding no one can fathom.  He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.  Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." 


If you're playing an endless round of The Blame Game will you retire your game piece with me and just leave it to God? 


Dear Heavenly Father, Thank you Lord that you ARE in control.  That every detail of our lives matters to you.  Instead of playing the blame game you show us grace and grant us mercy.  Lord teach me to do the same for myself.  Please help me to destroy the Blame Game and replace it with a joy-filled peace in my parenting.  And where I fall short, teach me & mold me.  And great and merciful Father, grant the same to these wonderful and amazing moms who like me are doing the best they can.  In Jesus' name I pray.  AMEN.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confession #87: The Golden Buzzer

Today while visiting a friend, she asked if I had seen this amazing girl on AGT. I told her that I don’t watch that show but after she described this woman, I said wait, is that Nightbirde? She said yes and played the clip. This gorgeous woman with a song in her heart put herself out there in front of the entire world to compete. Then she reveals she has been suffering from this horrific cancer in her lungs and spine and liver, and she only has a 2% chance of survival. Her song an original she wrote called, “It’s okay.”  I recognized the description of her because, ironically, this was the second introduction I had to the amazing Nightbirde. Just the day before I had stumbled across her one of her blog posts. An ode to the Lord that she praises God amid her pain. Coincidence? NEVER!  Recently, I have had the stuffing knocked out of me. Taking blows has become somewhat routine in my life and this current situation is one of the more powerful ones. Thankfully, I do not have c

Confession #83 "It Ain't Over, Till it's Over"

You know the famous saying by the baseball great Yogi Berra, “It ain’t over till it’s over?”  Well in God’s economy, it’s true!   In Luke 18: 1 it says, “Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up.”   In 1999 when my husband and I purchased our home, we had no children and the plan for them was years off, so we didn’t think much about school zoning.  Honestly, we thought by the time we would have to be concerned with schools we would have moved into a larger home in a better area.  After all, this was our starter home.   Twenty-one years later and by the grace of God, we are still here.  And that school zoning problem has been an issue since our daughter became school aged.  Rather than send her to our local zoned schools we opted for charter schools.  Knowing we could not afford to send her to a private, or Christian school that was the best we could give her.  I believe the Charter schools we sent her to are great schools, with g