Skip to main content

Confession #68 - I will Survive and Blog on!

"At first I was afraid I was petrified, thinking I could never live without you by my side.  I spent so many nights thinking how you did me wrong, but I grew strong, and I learned how to get along...."  These are words of wisdom from Gloria Gaynor's hit no. 1 song  "I will survive" in 1980.  They come to mind because of a recent issue I've had to wrestle with. An issue that halted my blogging for a while.  It's got me thinking quite a bit about wisdom and how in the absence of it we tend to make ourselves look utterly foolish.
The word wisdom is used 51 times in the book of Proverbs alone, and the phase "get wisdom" is in the Bible six times.  I'm pretty sure that's much more than a hint!  So just what is wisdom?  Often people mistake wisdom for prudence, knowledge, experience, understanding. It really is none of these things. Reading books and articles on subjects may give us a head knowledge of things, just as simply reading the Bible only gives us head knowledge of the word of God.  Real wisdom comes not only from a head knowledge of God and His book, but also by allowing the Holy Spirit to work within us.  The evidence of this wisdom is when the fruit of the spirit begins to show.  Galatians 5:22-23 tells us just what the fruit of the spirit is, "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control."  It goes on to note that, "Against such things there is no law." 

Allowing the Holy Spirit to manifest His fruits is a process of staying in daily prayer and study of His word, by practicing its principles and allowing the Holy Spirit to lead us in every circumstance and also by taking the advice of the Apostle Paul in 1 Corinthians 10:5, "We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God {foolishness}, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."  In order to have real wisdom it must be a skill practiced by taking our thoughts captive, filtering them through the obedience of Christ and then allowing them to manifest outward through the Holy Spirit to allow His fruit to show and to grow.

Impulsively expressing "our" thoughts and criticisms without the filtering of the Holy Spirit is the work of foolishness. And please be careful not to believe that by simply holding a title in life that automatically grants one wisdom.  PhD's earners, Nobel Peace Prize winners and high elected officials have proven themselves foolish at one time or another, even pastors and preachers.  Truthfully, if we are not submitting everything we do to the obedience of Christ and allowing the fruit of the spirit to be evident, before we respond to our circumstances, our friends and our adversaries, we run the risk of being the antithesis of wise; we risk looking like fools.   “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.  But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”  Matthew 7:24-27

Thankfully I will survive the foolish words of my adversaries AND my helpmates.  God has sought fit to that and given me the resolve to blog on.  This experience has taught me so much about myself and the nature of others.  It has also given me the ability to forgive them and love them anyway through the grace of God, which another example of the leading of the Holy Spirit.

Today and everyday, I choose to operate within the realm of God's wisdom by filtering my thoughts through the Holy Spirit and allowing them to manifest through love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.  And in my moments of weakness, being the dirty christian woman that I am, I pray God to forgive my foolishness and set me right again.

Dear Heavenly Father, I pray today for my sisters-in-Christ, who may have been attacked by the foolishness of others.  I pray that you will give them the ability to survive and the wisdom to know how to respond like women of God and not foolish subjects on behalf of hurt and anger.  Allow the fruit of the spirit to show and produce a sweet taste to those who have used foolishness to hurt them.  Teach us all your wisdom Lord, not just a head knowledge of it but a heart knowledge too.  In Jesus name I pray.  AMEN.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confession #87: The Golden Buzzer

Today while visiting a friend, she asked if I had seen this amazing girl on AGT. I told her that I don’t watch that show but after she described this woman, I said wait, is that Nightbirde? She said yes and played the clip. This gorgeous woman with a song in her heart put herself out there in front of the entire world to compete. Then she reveals she has been suffering from this horrific cancer in her lungs and spine and liver, and she only has a 2% chance of survival. Her song an original she wrote called, “It’s okay.”  I recognized the description of her because, ironically, this was the second introduction I had to the amazing Nightbirde. Just the day before I had stumbled across her one of her blog posts. An ode to the Lord that she praises God amid her pain. Coincidence? NEVER!  Recently, I have had the stuffing knocked out of me. Taking blows has become somewhat routine in my life and this current situation is one of the more powerful ones. Thankfully, I do not have c

Confession #83 "It Ain't Over, Till it's Over"

You know the famous saying by the baseball great Yogi Berra, “It ain’t over till it’s over?”  Well in God’s economy, it’s true!   In Luke 18: 1 it says, “Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up.”   In 1999 when my husband and I purchased our home, we had no children and the plan for them was years off, so we didn’t think much about school zoning.  Honestly, we thought by the time we would have to be concerned with schools we would have moved into a larger home in a better area.  After all, this was our starter home.   Twenty-one years later and by the grace of God, we are still here.  And that school zoning problem has been an issue since our daughter became school aged.  Rather than send her to our local zoned schools we opted for charter schools.  Knowing we could not afford to send her to a private, or Christian school that was the best we could give her.  I believe the Charter schools we sent her to are great schools, with g