Skip to main content

Confession #85 - Fear Not

The politics of the day have found me glued to the media outlets of my choice. The ups and downs of today’s climate have found me in nail-biting anticipation for resolutions. Like everyone, I want everything to get better for us and for our country. The financial climate, the lockdowns, the pandemic, the racial unrest, the destruction of monuments, and the great divide between Americans. All of this has gotten me so out of whack. I almost forgot who God is and what He says about all these issues. 

 Jesus didn’t promise us a perfect life after we become His follower, He told us straight out in John 16:33, “In this world, you will have trouble.” I don’t know a single person that doesn’t or hasn’t had some troubles in their lives. God tells us not to worry over, and over again. As a matter of fact, it says “Fear not” in the Bible 365 times. That’s pretty interesting. God must know that we wake each morning with another “fear” or worry so he gave us this command one for each new day of the year. 

The media certainly isn’t telling us not to fear. The media is moreover giving us the stories of what’s going on in our communities, our country and around the world. It’s telling us who said what and who did what, but it’s not easing our fears, it’s actually enhancing them. But no matter what is happening or promised to happen, we need “fear not”. The remainder of this verse in John says, “But take heart! For I have overcome the world.” NIV. I just LOVE how The Voice version words it, “In this world, you will be plagued with times of trouble, but you need not fear; I have triumphed over this corrupt world order.” 

Why fret when you know that you did whatever you could?  So, fear not, no matter the outcome. Yes, our world is in turmoil, it may not end anytime soon, but fear not. Your candidate may not have been placed in office but fear not. Your future may look uncertain, even in jeopardy, but fear not. You might contract this terrible disease but fear not.


Honestly, I don't mean to sound flippant. I can say this with peace because I know that we serve a Mighty God who does amazing things EVERY.SINGLE.DAY. I’ve seen in my own life God move and arrange things to bring about circumstances that worked out better than I could ever have imagined. Romans 8:28, my favorite verse says, “And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.” NLT


Even if God doesn’t remove the obstacles, He makes a way through them, just as He parted the Red Sea. God could have removed the sea because He’s capable of doing anything, but if He did, it would not have been there to swallow up the Egyptians that were chasing after the Israelites. The Israelites only saw a dead end, God saw the perfect placement with the perfect opportunity because He’s GOD and has the power to separate oceans. He’s GOD with the power to destroy thousands of enemies with only a few warriors. He’s GOD with the power to set a drenched rock on fire, He’s God with the ability to feed 10,000 people with only 2 loaves of bread and 1 fish and still have leftovers. HE IS GOD! 

In my morning devotional I read this passage, “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.” Isaiah 55:9-11. Our thoughts are not His thoughts, nor are our expectations His command. 

We may not understand why God allows certain things to happen. We may believe He’s going to do

things a certain way or heal someone we loved instead of taking them home. But when it doesn’t go according to our expectations, often we find ourselves lost, sad, depressed, uncertain and perhaps even angry, particularly with God. But, God says, fear not, fear not, fear not. He loves you and He cares about even the minute details of your life. 1 Peter 5:7 tells us, “Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you.” NLT. God will make a way where there is no way in your circumstances should that be His will. And should it not, He will work out whatever happens for your good. Fear not, my dear friends, God has got you in the palm of his gentle but mighty hand and He will never let you go. Isaiah 49:16, “Look here. I have made you a part of Me, written you on the palms of My hands” The Voice. 

Dear Heavenly Father, You are a Mighty God, working your plans and purposes for our lives and this world out perfectly according to your will and your way. Forgive us when we spend too much time listening to other outlets that spawn fear and worry. Forgive us when we forget to, “fear not”. Give us peace and remind us that you are always in control. We cast our cares upon you this day and pray that you would bring us peace within; a peace that transcends all understanding (Phil 4:7). In Jesus name I pray. AMEN.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confession #87: The Golden Buzzer

Today while visiting a friend, she asked if I had seen this amazing girl on AGT. I told her that I don’t watch that show but after she described this woman, I said wait, is that Nightbirde? She said yes and played the clip. This gorgeous woman with a song in her heart put herself out there in front of the entire world to compete. Then she reveals she has been suffering from this horrific cancer in her lungs and spine and liver, and she only has a 2% chance of survival. Her song an original she wrote called, “It’s okay.”  I recognized the description of her because, ironically, this was the second introduction I had to the amazing Nightbirde. Just the day before I had stumbled across her one of her blog posts. An ode to the Lord that she praises God amid her pain. Coincidence? NEVER!  Recently, I have had the stuffing knocked out of me. Taking blows has become somewhat routine in my life and this current situation is one of the more powerful ones. Thankfully, I do not have c

Confession #83 "It Ain't Over, Till it's Over"

You know the famous saying by the baseball great Yogi Berra, “It ain’t over till it’s over?”  Well in God’s economy, it’s true!   In Luke 18: 1 it says, “Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up.”   In 1999 when my husband and I purchased our home, we had no children and the plan for them was years off, so we didn’t think much about school zoning.  Honestly, we thought by the time we would have to be concerned with schools we would have moved into a larger home in a better area.  After all, this was our starter home.   Twenty-one years later and by the grace of God, we are still here.  And that school zoning problem has been an issue since our daughter became school aged.  Rather than send her to our local zoned schools we opted for charter schools.  Knowing we could not afford to send her to a private, or Christian school that was the best we could give her.  I believe the Charter schools we sent her to are great schools, with g